Why It Matters
The shooting marks the third time in roughly a month that gunfire has erupted in the vicinity of President Donald Trump, raising serious questions about the security environment surrounding the nation’s most protected address. The pattern of incidents has drawn renewed scrutiny to the layers of protection surrounding the White House complex.
What Happened
A 21-year-old man identified as Nasire Best opened fire Saturday evening near a White House security checkpoint at 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, according to law enforcement officials. Secret Service officers returned fire, striking the suspect, who was transported to a hospital and later pronounced dead.
The incident occurred shortly after 6 p.m. EDT. According to a preliminary statement from the Secret Service, the suspect pulled a weapon from his bag before beginning to fire. None of the agency’s officers were wounded in the exchange, and the agency said President Trump, who was at the White House at the time, was not impacted.
A bystander was also struck during the incident. Officials said it remained unclear whether that person was hit by rounds fired by the suspect or by law enforcement during the response.
Journalists stationed at the White House reported hearing what sounded like a rapid series of gunshots and were directed to take shelter inside the press briefing room. FBI Director Kash Patel acknowledged the incident on social media, confirming officers were responding to shots fired and promising updates as information became available.
By the Numbers
- 3 — Number of gunfire incidents near President Trump in the past month
- 21 — Age of suspect Nasire Best
- 6 p.m. EDT — Approximate time the shooting began on Saturday, May 23
- 3 million+ — Views on a video shared by an ABC News correspondent capturing the moment gunfire erupted
- 0 — Secret Service officers injured in the exchange
A Pattern of Incidents
Saturday’s shooting is the latest in a troubling series of security breaches near the president. In late April, law enforcement said a man attempted to target Trump during the White House Correspondents’ Association Dinner at a Washington hotel. That suspect, identified as Cole Tomas Allen of Torrance, California, has pleaded not guilty to charges of attempted assassination and remains in federal custody.
Earlier this month, Secret Service officers shot a suspect near the Washington Monument after that individual fired on officers. Michael Marx, 45, of Midland, Texas, was charged in connection with that May 4 shooting, which also wounded a teenage bystander. Federal law enforcement has been under increased operational pressure as security threats near the capital have multiplied.
The area has also been the site of previous violence. Last November, a gunman ambushed two West Virginia National Guard members near the White House perimeter. Army Specialist Sarah Beckstrom, 20, died from her wounds, and a second soldier was critically injured. An Afghan national, Rahmanullah Lakanwal, has been charged in that attack.
What’s Next
The investigation into Saturday’s shooting is active and ongoing. The Secret Service and the FBI are both involved, with officials expected to release additional details as the inquiry progresses. The Metropolitan Police Department has urged the public to avoid the area around the White House while the scene is processed.
The string of incidents is likely to intensify discussions at senior levels of the administration about protective protocols and threat assessment surrounding the president and the White House complex. Congressional oversight of executive branch security operations may also follow given the frequency of recent incidents.