Oregon Reinstates Interview Requirement for SNAP Benefits Starting June 1
Why It Matters
More than one in six Oregonians currently receive federal food assistance through the Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program, making the reinstatement of interview requirements a change that will directly affect hundreds of thousands of residents across the state.
What Happened
Beginning June 1, all Oregonians applying for or renewing SNAP benefits will be required to complete an in-person or phone interview with Oregon Department of Human Services staff. The change marks a return to pre-pandemic standards that were relaxed during the COVID-19 public health emergency.
Under pandemic-era flexibility, certain groups — including people with disabilities, adults 60 and older, and individuals with no earned income — were permitted to bypass the interview step. That waiver expires May 31, after which no exemptions will remain in place.
Jessica Amaya Hoffman, the SNAP director at the Oregon Department of Human Services, said the updated process is designed to ensure recipients receive accurate benefit amounts. “These updates help make sure people receive the correct SNAP benefits for their current situation,” she said. She acknowledged the added step could present challenges but said department staff are available to assist applicants through the process.
What Recipients Should Do
State officials are urging current and prospective SNAP recipients to take action before the June 1 deadline. Key steps include:
- Confirming that the Oregon Department of Human Services has current contact information on file
- Responding promptly to any mail, text message, or phone call from the department regarding a scheduled interview
- Visiting the Oregon Department of Human Services website for additional program information
By the Numbers
- More than 1 in 6 Oregonians currently receive SNAP benefits
- Pandemic interview waivers took effect during the COVID-19 emergency period beginning in 2020
- The waivers expire May 31, 2026, with the new standard taking effect the following day
Zoom Out
Oregon’s move mirrors a broader national trend as states wind down pandemic-era administrative flexibilities and return to standard federal program requirements. Across the Mountain West and Pacific Northwest, states have been reassessing emergency protocols put in place during COVID-19 as federal guidance encourages a return to baseline eligibility verification. Oregon’s business climate and state budget outlook have added pressure on policymakers to ensure public assistance programs are accurately administered and free of over-disbursement.
What’s Next
The Oregon Department of Human Services is expected to begin contacting affected SNAP recipients ahead of the June 1 deadline to schedule required interviews. Recipients who fail to complete an interview risk interruption or loss of benefits. State officials have indicated staff resources will be made available to accommodate the increased volume of required interactions. Advocates for low-income Oregonians are likely to monitor implementation closely, particularly for elderly and disabled applicants who previously qualified for waivers.