Most of Washington’s $3.5 Million Flood Relief Fund Sits Unspent Five Months After December Disaster
Why It Matters
Thousands of Washington residents who lost homes or faced displacement during catastrophic flooding last December are still waiting for state relief dollars that were promised months ago. With a funding deadline of June 30 approaching and strict eligibility rules limiting access, much of the money set aside for victims may never reach them.
What Happened
When severe flooding struck Washington state in December 2025, state officials made $3.5 million in relief funds available to affected households. Five months later, the vast majority of those dollars remain unspent.
Of $1 million designated for immediate household assistance, roughly $175,000 has been distributed so far. A separate $2.5 million pool for cash assistance — intended to cover hotel stays, rental costs, and replacing manufactured homes or recreational vehicles — has also seen minimal disbursement.
Gov. Bob Ferguson, a Democrat, acknowledged the problem at a disaster assistance center in Renton on May 20, saying he was surprised by how few residents qualified. “I was surprised how limited that was,” Ferguson said, “and even those limited dollars — how narrow it is to get those dollars out the door.”
By the Numbers
- $3.5 million in state flood relief made available after December 2025 flooding
- $175,000 of the $2.5 million cash assistance pool distributed as of last week
- ~3,900 homes damaged in the flooding; only 440 destroyed or severely damaged — the threshold for eligibility
- $7 million in federal individual assistance distributed so far across 10 counties
- $182 million — the state’s initial estimate of total flood damage
Why So Little Has Reached Victims
The bottleneck comes down to tight eligibility rules. To qualify for state aid, a household must reside in one of six designated counties — King, Lewis, Pierce, Snohomish, Skagit, or Whatcom — earn no more than 80 percent of area median income, and have a home that was destroyed or suffered major damage. Residents in hard-hit areas like Chelan and Grays Harbor counties were shut out entirely.
Out of nearly 3,900 damaged homes, fewer than 450 met the destruction threshold. Many who cleared that bar still didn’t qualify because their incomes exceeded the cap or their damages were covered by insurance, which bars them from receiving state dollars.
The cash assistance amounts are also capped at modest sums — $350 for a single person and up to $1,125 for a family of five.
State officials have also paused some of the aid to prevent duplication with federal funds. After Ferguson secured approval for more than $21 million in federal individual assistance through FEMA last month, portions of the state program were placed on hold.
Federal Aid and a Looming Deadline
FEMA applications for individual assistance remain open through June 10, and officials are urging flood victims to apply before that window closes. Federal disbursements have reached over 700 households so far. President Donald Trump also approved additional funding — potentially tens of millions — for nonprofits, tribal nations, and local governments to repair roads, levees, and other damaged infrastructure.
Ferguson noted the state may not know the full federal reimbursement total for years, given the time required to complete all repairs. Washington is also grappling with broader water infrastructure vulnerabilities that the December floods only underscored.
Separately, the state suffered a setback when FEMA denied a $36 million request for flood mitigation projects intended to prevent future damage. Ferguson appealed that rejection last week, arguing the state’s infrastructure faces “systemic vulnerabilities that predictably produce recurring damage.”
What’s Next
Ferguson said he has spoken with legislative leaders about revisiting eligibility rules before the next major disaster strikes. The Washington Military Department is also conducting a formal review of the state’s storm response. The state fund’s application period has closed, but officials are still processing previously submitted applications. All remaining state funding expires June 30.
As Washington weighs the fiscal costs of natural disasters, broader budget pressures loom. Efforts to repeal the state’s income tax are expected to appear on the fall ballot, adding another layer of uncertainty to the state’s long-term revenue picture.