Trump Delays Iran Strike, Orders Military to Stay Ready for Large-Scale Attack
Why It Matters
A potential large-scale military conflict with Iran carries direct consequences for American service members and military installations across the country, including those here in Idaho. Mountain Home Air Force Base, one of the nation’s premier combat air installations, would likely play a central role in any sustained military campaign in the Middle East.
Rising gas prices tied to regional instability are already being felt by Idaho families and businesses, and a resumption of hostilities could push fuel costs higher across the Mountain West.
What Happened
President Donald Trump announced Monday that he is standing down a military strike against Iran that had been scheduled for Tuesday, citing personal requests from three key Gulf state leaders who expressed confidence that a negotiated agreement remains within reach.
In a post on his Truth Social platform, Trump identified the Emir of Qatar, the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia, and the President of the United Arab Emirates as the officials who asked him to pause the planned operation. All three relayed their belief that a deal acceptable to the United States and regional allies could still be reached.
At the same time, Trump made clear the pause is conditional. He said he has directed Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth, Joint Chiefs Chairman General Daniel Caine, and U.S. military forces to remain prepared to execute a full-scale assault on Iran on short notice if negotiations collapse.
“This Deal will include, importantly, NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN,” Trump wrote in the post.
The State of Negotiations
The pause comes as talks between Washington and Tehran remain deadlocked over several core demands. The central sticking point is Iran’s nuclear enrichment program. The Trump administration has drawn a firm line, insisting Iran cease all enrichment activities and surrender its existing stockpile of near-weapons-grade uranium.
White House spokeswoman Anna Kelly reinforced that position in a Monday television interview, calling those demands among the president’s non-negotiable “red lines” and noting that U.S. military posture has not changed despite the delay.
Iran transmitted a revised negotiating position to American officials through Pakistani intermediaries, but U.S. officials did not view the updated proposal as offering meaningful concessions on the central disputes. The nature and extent of Iran’s modifications to the document were not immediately made public.
Pakistan has served as a go-between in earlier stages of the conflict as well. When Trump extended a prior ceasefire on April 21, he credited Pakistani officials with persuading him to hold off at that time, and he cited internal divisions within Iran’s government as a reason to allow more time for a unified proposal to emerge.
By the Numbers
- 3 Gulf state leaders personally asked Trump to delay Tuesday’s planned attack
- 3 months — the approximate length of the ongoing conflict, now weighing on Trump’s economic approval ratings
- 2 prior ceasefire extensions, with Pakistan playing a mediating role in at least one
- 0 — the number of nuclear weapons the Trump administration says Iran will be permitted to possess under any acceptable deal
Zoom Out
The conflict has placed sustained upward pressure on global oil markets, contributing to elevated gas prices across the United States. Trump’s economic approval numbers have declined as the war has dragged into its third month, adding domestic political urgency to the push for a resolution.
The administration’s insistence on complete nuclear disarmament as a precondition represents a harder line than some prior diplomatic frameworks, making a comprehensive agreement more difficult to finalize quickly. Advances in domestic defense technology, including drone innovation partnerships at Idaho National Laboratory, reflect broader U.S. efforts to strengthen military readiness in an increasingly volatile global environment.
What’s Next
Trump is expected to reconvene his national security team early this week to assess the status of talks and determine next steps. The president has left unmistakably clear that military options remain active and that any deal must meet U.S. demands on nuclear disarmament before military pressure is lifted. Whether Gulf state leaders can bridge the remaining gaps between Washington and Tehran in the days ahead will determine whether the pause holds.